Destruction following Haiti’s earthquake: before and after satellite images Posted on January 14th, 2010 by

I lived in Port-au-Prince for a number of years, and continue to do research in Haiti. Many of my friends are victims of the earthquake. Please consider giving to help Haiti’s recovery from the earthquake. Many organizations are sending assistance to Haiti. The two organizations I worked with in Haiti are accepting donations for the relief effort. I can highly recommend both: the National Human Rights Defense Network (RNDDH in French) and Mennonite Central Committee (MCC). Both organizations have worked successfully in Haiti for many years and are already engaged in assisting disaster victims. Other good organizations with much experience doing good work in Haiti include Beyond Borders, the Lambi Fund and Fonkoze, among many others.

A portion of downtown Port-au-Prince, including the National Cathedral, on March 2008. (Image from Google Earth.)

The same part of Port-au-Prince after the January 12, 2010, earthquake, which destroyed the Cathedral, among many other structures. The archbishop of Port-au-Prince is among the many who have died in the disaster. (Image from Google Earth.)

One of Haiti's 4-star hotels, the Hotel Montana, was known for its stunning views overlooking Port-au-Prince and the bay from its many lovely balconies and patios.

The hotel was destroyed in the January 12, 2010, earthquake. There are estimated to be 200 people trapped in the rubble. (Images from Google Earth.)

1. Matthew says:

My heart goes out to ALL those who are in need of assistance. I do not think we will even know the extent of the damages for at least another week, but I am hopeful that the nations who are contributing (including Iceland, Norway, Canada, Germany, China and USA) will be able to give relief to the survivors and the injured in due time. It makes me smile when I see people motivated to help others in times of trouble and pray that their endeavors are not in vain.

2. chas says:

Hmmm…

What long-term effect will this have on poverty, overpopulation, or deforestation?

How can we plant a tree in Haiti?

• Stuart says:

chas,

hmmm, why don’t we worry about saving the human lives and helping them through this awful plight, then worry about the social and environmental impact of your questions above… I don’t think we will be planting trees in the short run, but burying the victims.

• Allen McNicoll says:

I live in haiti now for past 7 months, to help out with projects. But now it is a matter of survivial. After things calm down, things will get rolling. I am responsible for many projects in haiti, and yes, retreeing is a big part of it. If you really want to help out, goto http://www.solidaritehaiti.org, we are a great organisation that have built almost 100 classrooms, several medical centers, agriculture programs, and ALL YOUR MONEY goes toward these projects, I ASSURE you, and can send pictures to prove it, and reports, etc.. What you want done with your money, I will make sure it happens.

Thanks for helping.

3. Peggy Johnson says:

There are countless numbers of us who have someone in Haiti–We continue to pray around the clock for mercy and assistance for these people! We will support in ways that we can otherwise as well. A child we support through Compassion International, Vastie, is on our minds. We are hoping that she is alive, and that her family is as well. We wonder how we will be able to find out sooner than later!

4. Eric says:

It’s terrible. At least $100 worth of houses, schools, churches, offices and buildings have been completely destroyed. Goverment officials say it could be much, much worse saying that reparations totaling some $150 may be needed to rebuild.

5. Daniel says:

Please pray for Lee Strickland, he was staying in the Hotel Montana, and was in the hotel at the time of the quake. Possibly trapped in the rubble.

• Pete Kenny says:

Daniel, I just prayed for Lee. God bless, Pete Kenny of Joshua Path, Inc

• Sabrina says:

We can pray for Lee, but always remember that there are others in need too, and don’t get so caught up in saving your close ones, that in your haste to save them, you get yourself in a dangerous situation too, and add to the problem.

• Jimmy says:

Thanks for the prayers for Lee and the others.

6. Pete Kenny says:

Praying for Haiti and the people trapped.

7. Daniel says:

I am remembering everyone else, as well as Lee. But obviously, they are always going to be the ones who get the most of your attention. I continue to lift up Haiti and everyone on it everyday in prayer, so don’t think that I don’t care.

8. Daniel says:

Lee Strickland has been found and is on his way home. Although it is hard on everyone now, thank you for your prayers, and please continue to pray for Lee’s family.