The Department of Geography is pleased to announce their 2013 photo contest. The contest is open to any current student, faculty, or staff at Gustavus Adolphus College. This year, the photo contest will include three categories (natural landscapes, cultural landscapes, and people’s choice). Each entry will consist of an entry form and a single image (no more than 3 submissions per category).
2013 Photo Categories:
- Natural Landscapes (Naturalandschaft/Urlandschaft)
- Representing scenes unaffected by human activity.
- Otto Schluter defined a natural landscape as a wild or primitive landscape in which nature dominates.
- Cultural Landscapes (Kulturlandschaft)
- Representing the combined works of man and nature.
- As Carl Sauer suggested, “the cultural landscape is fashioned from a natural landscape by a cultural group. Culture is the agent, the natural area is the medium, the cultural landscape is the result.”
- People’s Choice
- Based on the image (regardless of category) that receives the most on-line votes.
- First and second place finishers for each category will receive a mat-ready poster of the winning entries.
- All entries will be accessible through the Geographer’s Blog
- Contest begins 22-February-2013 (9:00 a.m.)
- Contest ends 26-April-2013 (11;59 p.m.)
- Submit Photos to: rbergstr at Gustavus dot edu
- Entry form requirements:
- Phone Number
- Photo Caption (a brief description of the photograph)
- Location of Photograph (city, state, country, latitude & longitude if available)
- Photo Size and Format:
- All submissions must be in digital format (JPEG or JPG)
- No larger than 5 megabytes (MB)
- A long dimension of more than 1600 pixels, but no more than 3000 pixels
- Digital Manipulation:
- Digital manipulation beyond those to achieve realistic color balance and sharpness are highly discouraged. For more information on digital manipulation please see the National Geographic Guidelines.