Accounts of Haiti’s earthquake Posted on January 17th, 2010 by

Joseph and his two children. The house they are in was destroyed by the January 12 earthquake in Haiti.

On January 12, 2010, a massive earthquake struck near Haiti’s capital, Port-au-Prince. The death and destruction from the earthquake are beyond comprehension. My friend Joseph writes from Port-au-Prince, “We are still here. Our house is gone but we are here. There is no food or water. We’re in the street with our children, but we’re here. We’re sleeping in the street now just like everyone in our neighborhood—we’re all living in the street. From time to time there are aftershocks. We are very afraid but we’re praying. The first earthquake happened when I was in class, on the top floor of the building. But God saved me.”

The Gustavus community is organizing to help out those in Haiti. If you are interested in joining us, please send an email to me (averslui@gustavus.edu) or Gustavus student Claire Curran (ccurran@gustavus.edu).

For more first-hand accounts of the earthquake and for ways to help out, please see my personal blog.

1. erinw says:

What did the children die?????
    Its so sad what ahppened in Haiti the earthquake !!!!

2. Alquisha Coqneust says:

?All ma love go to you n your family i hope eveythings gose well for you n your family.If i could i would come to haitis to help out with everything.