Danielle Olson (’17): Interactive, online mapping of local waste and recycling facilities Posted on March 7th, 2017 by

Danielle Olson (’17)

This past January, Danielle Olson, a double major in Environmental Studies and Geography with GIS, was an intern for Tri-County Solid Waste, which helps residents and businesses in Sibley, Le Sueur, and Nicollet Counties manage their waste.

What were your daily tasks?

The project initially started from an independent, semester-long project for my Environmental Studies Senior Seminar class. I wanted to make online interactive maps for local residents that would display locations of waste receptacles as well as their hours, addresses, contact information, and website.

What was the highlight of your internship?

The highlight of this internship for me was that I had a lot of freedom. Since this project was an idea I came up with, I had freedom in deciding how the maps would look and operate. Similarly, I was able to work remotely for the entirety of my internship. Since the maps I was making were through ArcGIS Online, I was able to create the maps on my laptop from any place that had WiFi.

What skills did you gain to improve your Geography or GIS experience?

I gained more experience using ArcGIS Online, which I have found is a heavily used tool in city and county government.

What advice would you give someone who is looking for or working in a Geography/GIS internship?

I would encourage people to apply for internships early and often. Making connections with employers will help you get the career you want.